Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Outrage in Surulere APC as Gbajabiamila Allegedly Moves to Force Candidate on Party

    May 17, 2026

    Alleged ₦36m Fraud: EFCC Arraigns Blessing CEO in Lagos

    May 15, 2026

    NJC Recommends 12 New Justices for Court of Appeal, Adopts Policy on Retired Public Servants’ Eligibility for Judicial Appointment

    May 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Demos
    • World
    • Science
    • Buy Now
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Sabi Sentinel
    • Home
    • Crime & Justice

      We Can’t Continue This Way, Judge Fumes At Ex-Gov Suswam Over Alleged N3.1bn Fraud Case

      September 22, 2025

      EFCC, Korean National Police Agency Sign MoU on Tackling Financial Crimes

      September 21, 2025

      Olukoyede Advocates Elaborate Reforms to Reduce Foreign Investment Risks in Africa

      September 19, 2025

      ‘Smear Campaign Against Tinubu, EFCC Boss Exposed’

      September 9, 2025

      EFCC, Presidency Parley on Investment Promotion

      September 5, 2025
    • Sports

      FIFA Approves Arthur Okonkwo’s Switch From England To Nigeria

      April 7, 2026

      Osimhen, Nwankwo Dropped as Chelle Names Super Eagles Squad for Friendlies

      March 19, 2026

      FIFA Sanctions Nigeria and DR Congo Over Crowd Misconduct in World Cup Qualifier

      March 16, 2026

      Tinubu Mourns Former Super Eagles Coach Festus Onigbinde

      March 10, 2026

      Super Falcons crowned WAFCON champions for a record 10th time

      July 29, 2025
    • Health

      Cross River reports COVID-19 case

      April 21, 2026

      Nurses suspend action after talks yield compromise

      August 2, 2025

      Nigerian nurses stage seven‑day warning strike over pay, staffing

      July 30, 2025

      MSF: 652 children die from malnutrition in Katsina, Jan–Jun

      July 25, 2025
    • Celebrities

      Toke Makinwa reveals how God answered her prayer to become a mother at 40

      August 17, 2025

      Actress Lizzy Gold breaks silence on feud with colleague Destiny Etik

      August 17, 2025

      Toke Makinwa celebrates Toju Foyeh’s pregnancy, reflects on God’s timing

      August 17, 2025
    • Business

      Jim Ovia Retires As Zenith Bank Chairman, Mustafa Bello Takes Over

      May 5, 2026

      EFCC, Presidency Parley on Investment Promotion

      September 5, 2025

      Local firms spearhead next growth phase in Nigeria’s oil sector

      June 3, 2025

      Shell to acquire TotalEnergies’ 12.5% stake in Bonga for $510m

      May 29, 2025
    Sabi Sentinel
    Home»News»Ozoro Festival: 16 Suspects Arrested So Far, No Official Rape Report Yet – Police

    Ozoro Festival: 16 Suspects Arrested So Far, No Official Rape Report Yet – Police

    Staff EditorBy Staff EditorMarch 23, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Delta State Police Command has dismissed claims that the controversial Alue-Do festival in Ozoro was a “rape festival,” stating that no victim has officially reported rape in connection with the incident.

    The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Bright Edafe, made this known on Monday during an interview on The Morning Brief.

    “It is important to state clearly that among the four girls interviewed yesterday, not one of them said they were raped. Up till this very moment, we have not had any official report that anybody was raped,” he said.

    Edafe stressed that investigations are guided strictly by evidence and witness accounts, explaining that the festival, being a traditional rite, was not intended to promote sexual violence.

    “It was not a rape festival. It was a festival organised by a chief priest to pray for barren women seeking the fruit of the womb. That was the intention.

    “The law does not work on emotions; it works on available evidence and witness statements. For the fact that we have not had any witness who says, ‘I was raped,’ and the evidence does not show that anybody was raped, sexual assault is what we would be investigating,” Edafe said.

    The PRO also revealed that 16 suspects have been arrested so far.

    “After the initial arrests, the chief priest, who happens to be the head of the community, was arrested alongside four others. Following video analysis, additional individuals were identified and arrested, bringing the number to 11 more.

    “This brings the total number of suspects currently in custody to 16. They have been transferred to the State Command Headquarters to be duly investigated by the Deputy Commissioner (DC), State CID,” Edafe said.

    The spokesperson added that the police visited Ozoro and the Oramudu community to assess the situation and met with four victims.

    He stated that the force assured them that the state government would cover their medical needs, compensate for lost property and money, and provide psychological support to aid their recovery from the trauma.

    However, he noted that due process was not followed in organising the event, as key authorities were not informed.

    “For reasons best known to them, the traditional ruler of the Ozoro Kingdom was not informed, the students’ union was not informed, and the school management was not informed.

    “They also did not inform the police. That is why the chief priest is presently in our custody, because his negligence led to this incident and the sexual assault of these innocent girls,” he said.

    According to the police spokesperson, the festival is said to occur “once every three or four years, and this is the first time such an incident has been recorded in Delta State.”

    Edafe also urged parents and guardians to pay closer attention to their children, noting that safeguarding should not be limited to the girl child alone.

    The controversy surrounding the festival sparked national outrage after viral videos showed mobs of men harassing and assaulting women in broad daylight, with some social media users describing the event as a “rape festival.”

    Community leaders, however, maintain that the festival was hijacked by hoodlums who exploited the gathering to perpetrate criminal acts.

    Authorities have since taken action, with the police confirming the arrests of suspects, including the community head and chief organiser.

    The Delta State Government has also condemned the incident, stressing that cultural practices cannot excuse criminal behaviour. The Alue-Do festival has since been banned, while the case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.

    Meanwhile, the Ozoro Kingdom Palace has condemned acts of violence, harassment, and intimidation against women linked to the festival.

    The palace described the harassment of women during the event as “unacceptable” and “contrary to the kingdom’s values.”

    It also distanced itself from claims circulating on social media that such actions were sanctioned, describing them as false and potentially harmful.

    While acknowledging the cultural significance of the Alue-Do festival as a fertility rite, the palace emphasised that tradition must never be used to justify abuse or misconduct.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Staff Editor
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Lagos to Launch State-Issued Driver’s Licence

    May 12, 2026

    Tinubu Removes Saidu Mohammed as NMDPRA Boss, Nominates Rabiu Umar as Replacement

    April 30, 2026

    Adelabu Resigns As Power Minister To Pursue Gov Ambition

    April 23, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Outrage in Surulere APC as Gbajabiamila Allegedly Moves to Force Candidate on Party

    Politics May 17, 2026

    Fresh controversy has erupted within the Surulere chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following…

    Alleged ₦36m Fraud: EFCC Arraigns Blessing CEO in Lagos

    May 15, 2026

    NJC Recommends 12 New Justices for Court of Appeal, Adopts Policy on Retired Public Servants’ Eligibility for Judicial Appointment

    May 15, 2026

    NDIC Drags Wema Bank to Court Over Alleged ₦125.38 Billion Banana Island Assets, ₦401 Million Disputed Payment

    May 14, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Our Picks

    Outrage in Surulere APC as Gbajabiamila Allegedly Moves to Force Candidate on Party

    May 17, 2026

    Alleged ₦36m Fraud: EFCC Arraigns Blessing CEO in Lagos

    May 15, 2026

    NJC Recommends 12 New Justices for Court of Appeal, Adopts Policy on Retired Public Servants’ Eligibility for Judicial Appointment

    May 15, 2026

    NDIC Drags Wema Bank to Court Over Alleged ₦125.38 Billion Banana Island Assets, ₦401 Million Disputed Payment

    May 14, 2026
    © 2026 Sabi Sentinel
    • Home
    • World
    • Science
    • Health
    • Buy Now

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.